Learn to surf at New York City’s exclusive surfing beaches!
Pack your bags for a weekend escape in New York City’s only surfing community: Rockaway Beach. With just a short subway/ferry ride, you can explore 10 miles of boardwalk and beach, paddle out for a surf with experienced local guides, and stretch your mind & body with private yoga instruction. Prepare for your surf session with yoga, cool down with a stroll on the newly-rebuilt boardwalk, or pop by the local brewery afterward for a beer. Experience Rockaway’s “off-season” like a local, with the locals.
These surf & yoga glamping retreats at the Jacob Riis Bathhouse will run every weekend, from Memorial Day weekend (Friday 22th of May 2020) till the end of June and through September & October 2020.
Spring and fall are the perfect seasons to visit Rockaway beach. Quiet sunrise beach walks give way to the bustling “people’s beach”, with the Riis Park Beach Bazaar‘s food vendors, beach equipment rentals & regular live entertainment scattered up and down the boardwalk. Biking, birding, nature watching, fishing, hiking and more are just a short walk away in historic Fort Tilden.
Life between the city and the sea.
This weekend escape is designed to satisfy complete rookies who are keen to learn surf basics, as well as intermediate to advanced surfers looking hone their skills. Private yoga instruction is available for all levels.
Be prepared to meet fellow surf friends, enjoy the weekend in a relaxed company, and recharge your battery for the week!
There will be specific dates available depending on the level of knowledge and wishes. So, do not be afraid, you will have the choice to book the right weekend for yourself! Moreover, we will also be organizing weekends such as family, women-only or LGBTQ weekends, thus aiming to really broaden the surfers’ community at the beach and welcome everyone! Be sure to check and follow our updates on social media to find out what’s happening!
BHT Surf Yoga NYC curates unique yoga, surf, and adventure retreats for all levels with an emphasis on yoga and surf. Each yoga class, surf lesson, and activity is handpicked and instructed by the best in the business.
We are big on responsible tourism, always have the best local talent, and aiming to support each location through our growing programs.
You don’t have to be a surfer or even a yogi to come to join our NYC retreat.
This glamping surf & yoga retreat is made in collaboration with Camp Rockaway.
Accommodation in a Camp
And this is what differs this one from other surf & yoga retreats. During this weekend, you will be staying at Camp Rockaway at Riis Beach. The Safari-style canvas tents are set in the courtyard of the historic Jacob Riis Park bathhouse, just steps from the ocean. Wall Tents are furnished with a queen-size bed featuring a memory foam mattress for max 2 people, side tables, lights, pillows, linens, extra blankets, and towels. Each tent is set on a raised wood platform with a deck, lounge chairs and hammocks. The campground features outdoor showers, indoor bathrooms, a communal firepit, picnic area, camp store, games and more.
- Two days of private Surf Instruction
- Morning and post-surf Yoga Classes
- Welcome Dinner with brief water safety and surf etiquette education
- Breakfast provided Saturday and Sunday
- 2 nights accommodation included
- Recommendations for local sites and bites!
|GROUP SIZE||max 12 people|
|START TIME||Friday Check-In (4:00-6:00 pm)|
|FINISH TIME||Sunday Approximately 2:00 pm / after lunch|
|WEAR||Comfortable yoga and athletic clothing, sport shoes, jacket and sunscreen|
|PROVIDED BY US||
& RECOMMENDED TO BRING
Day 1 – Friday
- 4:00-6:00 pm Check-In
- 6:00-7:00 pm Settle In/Meet and Greet (Guides and Guests alike) w/ Dinner
- 7:00-8:30 pm Water Safety and Surf Etiquette Lesson
- Snooze Say goodnight and prepare for bed!
Day 2 – Saturday
- 7:00-7:45 am Wake up/Breakfast
- 8:00-8:30 am Prepare for Yoga/Stretch
- 8:30-9:00 am Morning Yoga/Stretch
- 9:30 – 11:00 am morning Beach/land/surf lesson
- noon Lunch time
- 2:30 – 4:00 pm afternoon surf lesson
- 6:00 – 7:00 pm Restorative Yoga
- 7:30 pm Dinner
Day 3 – Sunday
- 7:00-7:45 am Wake up/Breakfast (6:00-7:45 am)
- 8:00-8:30 am Prepare for Yoga/Stretch
- 8:30-9:00 Morning Yoga/Stretch
- 9:30 – 11:00 Beach/Land/Surf Lesson
- Restorative Yoga (Optional)
- Lunch / after lunch (goodbye) always comes too fast